This sensational tart has a richly bitter-sweet chocolate & marmalade filling, encased in a chocolate pastry shell. Serve in thin slices – a little goes a long way!
For the Chocolate Pastry:
- 1¼ cups flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 120g butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 Tb caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-2 Tb cold water
For the Filling:
- 150g unsalted butter, cubed
- 300g plain dark chocolate (minimum 60% cocoa solids)
- 60g caster sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 150g orange marmalade
Whipped cream or mascarpone
Optional: chocolate scrolls, orange zest
For the Pastry:
· Place the flour, cocoa, sugar and butter in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
· Add the egg yolk and water through the feed tube and continue to process until the mixture starts to clump together. (Do not over process.)
· Tip the dough onto the bench and shape it into a ball. Roll out to fit a 23cm tart tin. Chill for 30 minutes.
· Preheat the oven to 180°C.
· Line the pastry with baking paper, fill with baking beans (chickpeas or dried beans will do) and bake blind for 10 -15 minutes or until the sides of the pastry are cooked, and the base is at least partly cooked.
· Carefully remove the baking paper and beans, and bake for a further 5 minutes until the bottom of the shell is dry.
· Reduce the oven temperature to 160°C.
For the Filling:
· Melt the butter and chocolate together in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of gently simmering water, stir until well combined. Whisk together the sugar, eggs and additional egg yolks; then fold into the chocolate mixture.
· Spoon the marmalade into the pastry shell and spread out evenly. Pour the chocolate mixture into the case, level and bake for 15-20 minutes until just set.
· Remove the tart from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
· Remove tart from the baking tin to a serving plate and dust lightly with cocoa. Slice the tart with a hot knife and top each slice with a spoonful of mascarpone or whipped cream.
Recipe: Harriet Harcourt
Food Styling: Harriet Harcourt
Photography: Harriet Harcourt